Make this year your healthiest ever with a few easy tips to help you stay on track and motivated!
Are you ready to make 2014 your best year yet? Setting a goal for yourself and committing to change is the first step. So if you’ve already done that – way to go! Remember, it’s not going to be easy, breezy. We all face challenges as we try to improve our lifestyles! With the right tools and mindset, you can conquer these challenges and reach your goals. Here are a few ways to stay healthy and motivated this year – I know you can do it!
Follow these tips to stick to your health and fitness goals in 2014:
- Be proactive and plan ahead. Take a look at your week on Sunday night and figure out when you can fit your workouts in, then plot them out on a calendar that you look at often. You can give yourself a star sticker or a special mark once you complete each workout. Seeing evidence of your hard work will inspire you to keep it up! If you can stick with a consistent schedule, like working out Monday, Wednesday, Friday, it may help you stay on track. Another way to plan ahead is to lay out your workout clothes the night before – or keep your gym bag stocked in your car. The sight of your workout clothes is a great reminder to make it happen!
- Remember that portions count. Remember that the key to sensible portions is right in your kitchen cabinet! If you don’t already measure out your food, it’s time to start. Invest in measuring cups and smaller plates and bowls to help you control the portion sizes. Think of them as measuring tools and not just a means to get your amazing dinner on the table! While we’re on the topic of dinner – make sure you’re choosing healthy foods. I know how easily fattening snacks, junk food, and soda can sneak back into your diet. If it’s just one food that can trigger unhealthy food cravings, try taking it out of your cabinet. Sometimes just eliminating the temptation – throw it away, put it out of reach, don’t buy it again – can make a big difference!
- Get moving and invest in low-cost workout equipment. Exercise is the absolute best way to jump-start your weight loss! Even a few minutes counts! The first step to working out in the comfort of your home, is to invest in a few crucial pieces of equipment. I’m not talking about buying a treadmill or an elliptical machine! I suggest you start with a few crucial items, and add on from there if you feel like you need more variety. First, I would purchase a set of dumbbells, either two or three pounds. A lot of my exercises include dumbbells because they’re one of the best tools out there when it comes to strengthening your arms. Next, I would invest in one of my favorite cardio tools – a jump rope! Anyone can jump rope and it’s the perfect exercise to get your heart rate up before moving onto a strengthening exercise. If you’re a big walker, check out my walking kit – it has everything you need to turn your walk into a fat-burning workout. If you want to trim and slim your thighs, I love my thigh toner. It really firms up your legs, especially your inner thighs!
- Keep a food log. Food journals are a great way to hold yourself accountable for what you’re eating. Studies show that people who kept food journals lost more weight than those who didn’t. Plus, knowing that you will have to jot down every single thing you put in your mouth can help to prevent mindless snacking and help you to make smarter choices when it comes to food.
- Reward yourself! If you’ve been sticking to your diet and fitness goals, you definitely deserve to reward yourself with something healthy. One rule you must follow: There may be no food rewards! Instead you could get a manicure or massage, buy yourself flowers, treat yourself to some new workout gear, like a yoga mat, yoga block, or even just a new workout DVD, like my latest Burn Fat Fast Latin Dance. You can also reward yourself by taking some time just for YOU by curling up on the couch with a good book or magazine. It doesn’t have to be a big thing! Just something to validate how great you’re doing.
Use these five tips to help you stay motivated and on track this year! Believe in yourself, get moving and you can do this. Here’s to a happier and healthier 2014!
Written for Rite Aid by DeniseAustin.com